Re: new pc and swap

On 10/30/2016 06:56 AM, Pol Hallen wrote:
Good sunday to all :-)

I bought a new notebook: i7 2.2Ghz, 8Gb ram and ssd 256Gb.

Consider that small disk, can I install debian without swap? Does swap still useful?
Yes, debian can be installed without swap. Whether swap is useful depends on the usage you are planning on putting the machine to. In some cases, swap is of great benefit; in others, not much use at all. I load my machine up pretty heavy, and rarely use the swap space I have set up, and usually when I do get into swap space, I can slim down what I've got running and get back out of swap. If you are planning on using hibernate, then swap is needed (I almost never use that; I usually just suspend to ram). If you are planning on using several memory intensive applications all at the same time, then swap can be useful. If not, not so much.

Hope this helps some.:-)

thanks for advices! :)

Pol

--