Re: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 510 on GNOME

Samuel Bächler composed on 2016-10-29 21:56 (UTC+0200):

I have got a graphics adapter that is somehow integrated on the
motherboard. [1] On this hardware I can use KDE but no GNOME. When
installing GNOME I get the error message 'Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please contact a
system administrator'. Is there a known problem with GNOME and my graphics
adapter?

Is this with Debian 8 Jessie or Debian 7 Wheezy?

[1]

'lspci' shows in particular 'Intel Corporation HD Graphics 510'. 'dmidecode
--type baseboard' shows in particular 'Manufacturer: FUJITSU' and 'Product
Name: D3400-B1'.

NAICT from Googling, Jessie's 3.16 kernel is too old to fully support Skylake (August 2105 release) CPU features required by Gnome, so you need a kernel newer than 4.1 (June 2015), and/or Stretch (currently on 4.7).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/