resolvconf troubles

Does anyone know how to get rid of resolvconf?

I'm putting a server together, and resovlconf keeps wiping my /etc/resolv.conf file and replacing the nameserver IP with "# Created by resolvconf" (approx). No nameserver, no anything.

I removed it with Aptitude, and the file started talking about being built with dhcpd. Nameserver still wiped, and Aptitude says there's no package called dhcpd.

These things seem to be triggered by an ifupdown, to either state. I removed some cruft that triggered it; now ifupdown doesn't any more, but a reboot does. As best I can tell, there's nothing in man or on the 'Net about removing it or just making it stop killing my nameserver file.

This is a server. It will have a very stable nameserver IP. I'd like to be able to create a file containing the IP and not have 'helpful' software scribble on the file.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated...

--
Glenn English