Re: comparing password managers in Debian, synchronizing on multiple devices

Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On 24/10/16 13:05, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>

>> There have been various discussions in here and in some derivative
>> projects like Ubuntu about choosing and using password managers,
>> especially the way to sync their password lists across multiple devices.
>>
>> Given the way we do things in Debian it is important not to depend on a
>> service like Dropbox to sync the password files.
>>
>> Therefore, how are people choosing a password manager and solving this
>> in practice?
>>
>> - which password managers have a built-in mechanism for synchronizing or
>> merging password lists on multiple devices?
>>
>> - who is using some other mechanism such as Git or ownCloud to sync?
>>
>> I've made a list of some of the password managers in Debian:
>>
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/a/assword.html
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/p/password-gorilla.html
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/p/password-store.html
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/r/revelation.html
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/k/keepass2.html
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/k/keepassx.html
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/k/kedpm.html
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/f/fpm2.html
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/c/cpm.html
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/p/passwordsafe.html
>>
>> There are quite a few and so it is hard for somebody to know the best
>> place to start, maybe a comparison table in the wiki will be needed.
>
> Wiki now created:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/PasswordManagement
>

>> Some other factors that come to mind for a comparison table:
>>
>> - support for PGP
>> - support for other strong crypto (e.g. smartcard)
>> - merging algorithm for multiple devices
>> - multi-user / team capabilities
>> - browser integration
>>
>> I notice that Tails chose to include KeePassX, although there is some
>> uncertainty how it was selected:
>>
>> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/9231
>>
>> Can anybody comment on its history there?

What about the wallet? In KDE4 and former KDE3 now Trinity Desktop we use
the kwallet now tdewallet to store the passwords. I know gnome has also
one, but I don't know it's name. I think each desktop has or should have a
kind of integrated password manager. It is worth mentioning this.

https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_Wallet_Manager
https://utils.kde.org/projects/kwalletmanager/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWallet

regards