Re: Firefox lost restore previous session setting

On 10/21/2016 08:38 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 21/10/16 07:23 PM, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 02:32:46PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
On 21/10/16 04:28 AM, William Satterthwaite wrote:
Thanks. The settings button | History has a "Restore Closed Tabs" option that isn't in the History pulldown. When you first start Firefox, the option reads "Restore Closed Windows". Neither actually does the same thing as the "restore previous session" button used to do. I have no idea what criteria Firefox uses to decide which windows/tabs to restore, but they aren't the
ones that were open when I closed Firefox.

There also doesn't seem to be way of customizing the menu bar to include the option, or even the option in settings button | History section. The History
| Restore Closed Tabs is gone.

I'm using Firefox 45.4.0.

I preferred it when Firefox automatically restored your last session. I
didn't mind it when it started asking you nor even when it made you press a
button on the startup page. I gather from the increasing difficulty in
restoring the previous session, someone has decided that people simply
shouldn't do it.  :)
I am using FF 49.0.1, currently logged into Arch Linux. I have an option History -> Restore Previous Session. I can also go History -> Recently Closed
Tabs -> Restore All Tabs.

Isn't this what you are looking for, or did I miss something?

Interesting. These options weren't there earlier but have now appeared.

Unfortunately History | Restore Previous Session is always greyed out. The other ones are now behaving like the Settings Button | History except that they are both present all the time. The Restore Closed Windows opens a new browser with the previous session restored - meaning I have to close the browser that launched it.

There is some real weirdness going on with Firefox.

I am running 49.0.2 direct from Mozilla and it seems to work as it should.

I can go to Edit>Preferences>General and select "Show my windows and tabs from last time" so that it always starts with my previous windows and tabs opened.

If I select History>Recently closed Windows>Restore all windows it opens all of the listed windows and leaves my current window open as well.

Marc