Re: Compositing Problem

Unsubscribe

Sent from Android

From: Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:33:41 AM
To: debian-kde@lists.debian.org; Debian.org
Subject: Re: Compositing Problem

On 10/12/2016 12:10 PM, David Baron wrote:
> Running must recent kwin, etc., with Sid nvidia-legacy-304xx driver.
>
> Window decorations slow or do not show on non-KDE windows. If they do not
> show, one can pretend they are there and do everything.
>
> Effects all compositing options.
>
> Where to file bug?
> Quick fix?

Quick fix, force install all your 'nvidia' and 'glx' installed packages
back to 'Jessie-backports' and then 'lock-them' works, maybe 20-24
packages that you will be locking, varies a little with my installs,
some I had not upgraded and I only had to lock the packages.  I used
synaptic while in xfce4 and all your kde apps work from xfce4 too as a
side note.  Note no problem with upgrades and those files being locked,
at this time anyways. hehe

There's a lot noise out there about fix's, I found nothing works for me.
  I came up with this fix and it works.  While gtk works with the
upgrade, plasma don't, it's a problem with plasma, you can't blame
nvidia and say they are not doing their part, this is a problem debian
plasma, I'm sure they are working on it. Seems to affect only
'legacy-304' and could be a simple code error.

With the Debian-nvidia driver: Plasma is unable to start as it could not
correctly use OpenGL2.  Note dialog is working, sound is working, no plasma.

With the Debian-free driver, computer freeze with colorful squiggly
lines and I have to push the power button and repair the file system.

David, do you have a better fix than down-grading the packages?  And I
may not need to down grade as many packages as I do, but it works.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/Testing - KDE Plasma Version 5.8.2 - EXT4 at sda15
Registered Linux User #380263