Re: rsnapshot advice

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 06:59:56PM +0200, Pol Hallen wrote:
> Hey all :-)
>
> I need an advice about remote rsnapshot backup: in my scenario I've 8
> servers and one primary (backup server) in same LAN.
>
> What is better: make on each server rsnapshot and automatically backup data
> (ssh+root) to primary server?
>
> Or on primary server make a remote backup to all other servers (ssh+root)?
>
> Or use nfs on each servers and mount all to primary?
>
> thanks for advice
>
> PS: if there's a "better" tool for this kind of backup-scenario I'm happy to
> learn new ways :-)

Things to consider:

- can compromising one of your servers compromise the backup
  server?

- can compromising your backup server compromise all of your
  other servers?

- do the 8 servers have significant duplicated data?

- is the purpose of your backup to recover files and file trees
  that people have accidentally deleted?

- is the purpose of your backup to restore a new machine to
  complete functionality from an image of the old one?

- is the purpose of your backup to archive various data sets
  going back in time?

Answers to those questions will help select better backup
solutions for you.

-dsr-