Re: mws vs metar data, nsw 1, metar 0

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 08:01:59AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 19 October 2016 05:14:46 Darac Marjal wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 05:09:05AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Wednesday 19 October 2016 00:33:29 Peter Ludikovsky wrote:
>> When you visit the URL it's fetching there's a notice that the
>> service is no longer available:
>> "In Accordance with NWS Service Change Notice 16-16 this service
>> has been discontinued."
>>
>> Regards,
>> /peter
>
>And replaced by what?
>
>I did find that quoted phrase in my searching, but not that Change
> Notice 16-16. itself.

Really? I searched for "NWS Service Change Notice 16-16" (no quotes)
and this www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notification/scn16-16wngccb.htm was the
first result. It states that weather.gov now supplies all the
appropriate information, so weather.noaa.gov is no longer needed.

I khexedited the deamon, found that address string and changed it to
http://www.weather.gov. but on a restart, that gives a 404 error about
once a minute.  I'll go recheck that weather.gov site & see if I can get
any schmardter.

There was much ballyhoo a while ago about Debian distributing the "preferred modification source" (or words to that effect). The argument was, IIRC, to do with "minified" javascript files; that is, javascript files which have had all unnecessary whitespace removed so that they download a little quicker in the browser. It was argued that no-one in their right mind would try to actually work with the minified javascript, and that Debian should be distributing the original file and converting it to a minified version at "compile time".

The same goes for just about all Debian packages: what's in the *.deb is not necessarily the "preferred modification source". In the case of an executable program, there will be C (or C++ or Perl or Python or Ada or ...) source code which is compiled to produce that executable. Source code which Debian uses. Source code which Debian DISTRIBUTES freely. Source code which you can download yourself, modify yourself, compile yourself.

What I'm trying to say is: don't go modifying the executable! Edit the source code and recompile it!

And if you want to know what changes to make, gkrellweather already has a bug against it (#863347 https://bugs.debian.org/836347) which includes a patch fixing the problem.

I found the data for the local, actually under the correct label, but its
going to be fun editing that path into that binary. I would assume the
KCKB.TXT isn't needed because thats a different, editable entry in the
config

http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/stations/KCKB.TXT

Editing that into the .so apparently exceeds the string length even if I
was over-writing $00's to do it, I now get a segfault and it exits. The
deamon however does start ok.  I'll reinstall, so at least the rest of
gkrellm works.

>But using that phrase, I did find it, and the request for comments
> that was published a few months before, along with some contact
> names, one of which has now been sent a query about its replacement.
>
>Thanks Peter.
>
>> Am 19.10.2016 um 05:32 schrieb Gene Heskett:
>> > METAR is a std data format that has been used for many years.
>> > I've been using a gkrellm, with its plugin gk-weather for about a
>> > decade, but I've just become aware that the last time I got valid
>> > METAR data from the airport about 20 miles northeast of me was on
>> > July 28th.
>> >
>> > So as a double-chk, I installed the metar program from the wheezy
>> > repo. It reports:
>> >
>> > gene@sheldon:~$ metar -v KCKB
>> > Retrieving URL
>> > http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/stations/KCKB
>> >.TX T METAR pattern not found in NOAA data.
>> >
>> > So I switched to a slightly closer airport in Buchannon wv, and
>> > get the same response.
>> >
>> > gene@sheldon:~$ metar -v KW22
>> > Retrieving URL
>> > http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/stations/KW22
>> >.TX T METAR pattern not found in NOAA data.
>> >
>> > Poking around on the NOAA.gov main site, there is no mention of
>> > it being discontinued that is easily searched for.
>> >
>> > Anybody have a light to shine on this?
>> >
>> > Thanks everybody.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
>Cheers, Gene Heskett
>--
>"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)