Re: mws vs metar data, nsw 1, metar 0

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 05:09:05AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 19 October 2016 00:33:29 Peter Ludikovsky wrote:

When you visit the URL it's fetching there's a notice that the service
is no longer available:
"In Accordance with NWS Service Change Notice 16-16 this service has
been discontinued."

Regards,
/peter

And replaced by what?

I did find that quoted phrase in my searching, but not that Change Notice
16-16. itself.

Really? I searched for "NWS Service Change Notice 16-16" (no quotes) and this www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notification/scn16-16wngccb.htm was the first result. It states that weather.gov now supplies all the appropriate information, so weather.noaa.gov is no longer needed.

But using that phrase, I did find it, and the request for comments that
was published a few months before, along with some contact names, one of
which has now been sent a query about its replacement.

Thanks Peter.

Am 19.10.2016 um 05:32 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> METAR is a std data format that has been used for many years. I've
> been using a gkrellm, with its plugin gk-weather for about a decade,
> but I've just become aware that the last time I got valid METAR data
> from the airport about 20 miles northeast of me was on July 28th.
>
> So as a double-chk, I installed the metar program from the wheezy
> repo. It reports:
>
> gene@sheldon:~$ metar -v KCKB
> Retrieving URL
> http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/stations/KCKB.TX
>T METAR pattern not found in NOAA data.
>
> So I switched to a slightly closer airport in Buchannon wv, and get
> the same response.
>
> gene@sheldon:~$ metar -v KW22
> Retrieving URL
> http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/stations/KW22.TX
>T METAR pattern not found in NOAA data.
>
> Poking around on the NOAA.gov main site, there is no mention of it
> being discontinued that is easily searched for.
>
> Anybody have a light to shine on this?
>
> Thanks everybody.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett