Re: mws vs metar data, nsw 1, metar 0

On Wednesday 19 October 2016 00:33:29 Peter Ludikovsky wrote:

> When you visit the URL it's fetching there's a notice that the service
> is no longer available:
> "In Accordance with NWS Service Change Notice 16-16 this service has
> been discontinued."
>
> Regards,
> /peter

And replaced by what?

I did find that quoted phrase in my searching, but not that Change Notice
16-16. itself.

But using that phrase, I did find it, and the request for comments that
was published a few months before, along with some contact names, one of
which has now been sent a query about its replacement.

Thanks Peter.

> Am 19.10.2016 um 05:32 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > METAR is a std data format that has been used for many years. I've
> > been using a gkrellm, with its plugin gk-weather for about a decade,
> > but I've just become aware that the last time I got valid METAR data
> > from the airport about 20 miles northeast of me was on July 28th.
> >
> > So as a double-chk, I installed the metar program from the wheezy
> > repo. It reports:
> >
> > gene@sheldon:~$ metar -v KCKB
> > Retrieving URL
> > http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/stations/KCKB.TX
> >T METAR pattern not found in NOAA data.
> >
> > So I switched to a slightly closer airport in Buchannon wv, and get
> > the same response.
> >
> > gene@sheldon:~$ metar -v KW22
> > Retrieving URL
> > http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/stations/KW22.TX
> >T METAR pattern not found in NOAA data.
> >
> > Poking around on the NOAA.gov main site, there is no mention of it
> > being discontinued that is easily searched for.
> >
> > Anybody have a light to shine on this?
> >
> > Thanks everybody.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett