Re: system gobbles disk space

On 27/09/16 13:09, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 10:55:52AM +0200, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

>> Thanks again to all who have helped with this.
>
>> After the overnight run, I'm now seeing this:
>
> [...]
>
> Bad Apache, bad :-)
>
> Seems this "cron job" is doing logrotate's job (or I am misunderstanding).

Well, I guess you're correct. It never occurred to me to use logrotate
for this purpose. I imagined that was exclusively for the system
packages. Evidently not!

However, it wouldn't work in this case. Various other applications  rely
on the names of the compressed files being in a particular format, which
I can't easily achieve with logrotate. So, I'll stick with my original
script but add "apachectl graceful" before fiddling with the files. The
only snag seems to be that the script now has to run as root. Not a
terrible deal.

>> This setup has existed for a number of years unchanged, so what's caused
>> it to start misbehaving?

I still don't understand what's changed; this server is running
oldstable, so should only receive security updates. I guess it's just
taken a long time to fill up the file space with deleted files. Ho hum!

Thanks for your help.

--
Tony van der Hoff  | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Ariège, France     |