Re: Debian Jessie : regular console instead of a hi-res one!

On Mon 05 Sep 2016 at 21:31:20 (+0530), Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> Is there any way to get a regular console under Debian Jessie?
> I don't use a GUI, just plain old CLI, and working on hi-res with
> "tiny" little fonts is extremely painful.
> I have tried playing with "console-setup". No results.

I have commands aliased thus in ~/.bashrc

alias my-font-tiny="setfont Lat15-Terminus12x6"
alias my-font-small="setfont Lat15-Terminus14"
alias my-font-medium="setfont Lat15-Terminus20x10"
alias my-font-large="setfont Lat15-Terminus24x12"
alias my-font-huge="setfont Lat15-Terminus28x14"
alias my-font-vast="setfont Lat15-Terminus32x16"

$ cat /etc/default/console-setup
# CONFIGURATION FILE FOR SETUPCON

# Consult the console-setup(5) manual page.

ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"

CHARMAP="UTF-8"

CODESET="Lat15"
# Make no font changes to allow scrollback of boot screen

VIDEOMODE=

# The following is an example how to use a braille font
# FONT='lat9w-08.psf.gz brl-8x8.psf'
FONTFACE="Terminus"
FONTSIZE="10x20"
$

That sets the default for logging in. Changing the font like this will
clear the scrollback buffer (ie everything before the current screenfull)
if you are someone who looks at booting messages.

I think Terminus comes from package xfonts-terminus. If that's not the
case then post again and I will investigate. (I have a lot of fonts
installed for both VCs and X, which I do use.) Of course, you can use
whatever set of fonts you want, but I find Terminus very clear.
However, it's not well endowed for Unicode, so you may want something
different.

Those aliased commands set each VC independently BTW.

Cheers,
David.