Re: Decentralized reliable instant messaging?

On Tuesday 30 August 2016 09:59:42 Henning Follmann wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 02:52:14PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 August 2016 14:05:36 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > "shocked that anyone would want to design or use an
> > >                 unreliable messaging system"
> >
> > Email is getting less and less reliable, so have you given up using
> > it?? :-(
> >
> > Lisi
>
> However, why email is still reliable, because a proper setup provides
> you with a well defined error messages (in case it is not delivered).
>
> The fact that a lot of mail ends up in places where they are never
> looked at is a social issue not a technical one.
>
> -H

True, Henning, but forced on us by the sheer volume of spam we need to
protect ourselves from. But when some idiot sends me a 100% html
message, with 3 or more url's buried in the html, with a Dear Friend
greeting, he should NOT be amazed that it gets a 5+ rating from
spamassassin, and sorted accordingly.

The offender of course is not subbed to any of these mailing lists, so
he/she gets zero feedback and are too far away to hear my muttering
about it, but I do business thru ebay with him, once in 10 years.

ebay themselves very carefully fine tunes their crap, always hitting
exactly 5.0 from spamassassin. But you put up with that from ebay
because they are the worlds defacto dept. store and have been for years
despite Jeff B's best efforts at amazon.

Amazon costs too much, and has yet to meet the promised delivery date
since I'm at least 150 miles from west bumf--- here in north central WV,
USA.  Thats my choice, here I am often the big frog in this tiny puddle
of a county seat village.  I have to admit I enjoy that. But it often
means that my connection to the educated world looks a lot like a cat5
cable. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)