Re: Video problem

Maureen L Thomas wrote:

> Attached is a picture of the lspci -nn results.  I do hope these help.
> I tried to get into Xorg.0.log and saw that there were two of them, one
> old and the regular one.  I couldn't remember the command to read them
> so I didn't get a copy of them.  If you need anything else I will gladly
> comply.
>

> On 08/12/2016 02:05 AM, deloptes wrote:
>> Maureen L Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, so my roommate bought an acer aspire xc-704-g.  It has an intel
>>> celeron with intel HD Graphics with DDR3L sdram, shared memory.  I have
>>> wiped windows and installed debian 8.5.  When it reboots it goes all the
>>> way through the start up to the final sign on page but I get a blank
>>> screen with -blinking in the upper left hand corner.
>>>
>>> I went into grub on reboot and added nomodeset and got the white screen
>>> saying OH NO! something has gone wrong notify the admin.  LOL I am the
>>> admin.  I also tried startx in recovery mode and got a black empty
>>> screen and a freeze.
>>>
>>> I downloaded the drivers from debian for the intel graphics and got the
>>> latest 2.99 one.  I put it on a USB and plugged it in before the install
>>> began.  Either it didn't get picked up or doesn't work either.  My video
>>> screen is an HP w2007 20 inch and it was working fine with the old
>>> desktop and debian wheezy but it was hooked up via VGA.  I had to use a
>>> DVI converter to HDMI for this machine to hook it up.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong or what can I do to get this machine up and
>>> running.  Thank you for helping.
>>> Maureen
>> Maureen,
>> if it is a pretty new computer model, it might be that Jessie (Debian
>> 8.5) is too old for it.
>> First try the Xorg.conf from here
>> http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=804.0
>>
>> Second try the xorg.conf I attached - you can adapt it for your needs. It
>> is based on the intel chipset (Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated
>> Graphics Controller (rev 0b))
>>
>> If it does not help try ubuntu or Debian Stretch/testing
>>
>> regards

based on the intel device 8086:22b1 I found this ( and much more in google )

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Intel/NUC5PPYH

It looks like this is newer hardware - perhaps you would be best off if you
use ubuntu or debian testing.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/295473/intel-braswell-integrated-graphics-on-debian-jessie

very interesting thread in gentoo
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1034212-start-0.html?sid=993fb2e001a9fa1ef011c049aa730f30
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1006032-highlight-vgaarb.html

I can conclude following:
Linux users usually do a profound research about the hardware they are
buying. I don't know how you got this peace of hardware, but it looks like
there are issues with the grafics chip everywhere.
I would advise to ask on the xorg intel driver forum.

regards