Re: cannot POST in Icedove

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 10:10:48PM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to set up icedove on Sid. I only want to use it for Newsgroups, specifically Linux Debian User.

That works and I see all the posts.

But I cannot post.

The SMTP server is set up like:

Desciption: <not specified>
Server Name: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
User Name: <gmail userid>
Authentication Method:Normal password
Connection security: SSL/TLS

What more has to be done for SSL/TLS, does anything need to be installed?

If you're using icedove ONLY for newsgroups (NNTP), then you don't need to set up an SMTP account. SMTP is used to sending email, but NNTP is a two-way protocol, allowing you to read AND post to newsgroups.

However, if you're reading your newsgroups through some other means (it's possible to gateway newsgroups to a different protocol such as IMAP or a web page, in which case, yes, you'd need an SMTP account to semd messages back. This is how sites like Gmane work).

Hugo

--
For more information, please reread.