Re: Debian server for backups of Windows clients

> On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 06:12:33PM -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'm thinking deploy a Debian backup server using Dirvish (which is based
>> on rsync --- indeed, we have packaged it in Debian). On previous
>> occasions I implemented these solutions seamlessly with GNU/Linux
>> clients, but now I would like add Windows clients.
>>
>> The idea of using Dirvish is because I had a very good experience.
>> Besides using rsync with hard links for backups of files that do not
>> change from backup to the next allows a considerable saving of disk space.
>>
>> But to use Dirvish with Windows clients I will need to install an SSH
>> server. I had thought that an alternative would be to use Cygwin, but
>> was looking for documentation and I have not found any uniform process
>> to install and configure a Cygwin SSH server on Windows.

Have you tried Putty? I know next to nothing about Windows, but I've seen Putty discussed like it does SSH seriously.

Dirvish, I think, is a good backup package. It creates backups that can be handled with plain *nix software if you lose the backup software. Like Amanda.

--
Glenn English