Re: nosh and redo have moved

On Friday 05 August 2016 13:25:43 Andre Majorel wrote:

> On 2016-08-05 12:36 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Point taken. The pruning is an attempt to keep each individual
> > mailbox readable in a reasonable length of time by kmail. A
> > couple of my folders have no expiry, are over 2Gb in size. It
> > takes a good 45 seconds to sort and display the list when
> > entering those folders. I didn't want the debian list to
> > become that much of a time killer.
>
> A simple way to keep mail boxes to a manageable size is to split
> them by year. In extreme cases, by month. From my .procmailrc :
>
> YYYYMM=`date +%Y-%m`
>
> :0

> linux-kernel-$YYYYMM
>
> If you use Kmail, you probably don't use Procmail but it takes
> more than mere logic to stop me from giving unsolicited advice.

Chuckle, but I do use fetchmail and procmail, it handles all the spam and
virus scanning before it dumps it into /var/spool/mail. I have a bit of
bash and inotifywait watching that directory, and telling kmail to go
get the mail from there when there is new mail if its real mail.  So I
am not sitting here watching paint dry while kmail is out on the net
getting new mail.  That time delay with a frozen keyboard caused me to
take the job of pulling the mail away from it.  And that gives me more
time to concentrate on the real job, reading the mail. And replying to
it if its about something I do know about. Or in the present case,
harassing the OP.  Who seems not inclined to clarify what he alluded to
when he announced both the move and a new version.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)