SOLVED - I hope! - was: Re: Sound troubles on crashed Jessie on Skylake

On Thursday 04 August 2016 22:43:23 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> Lisi Reisz wrote on 08/04/16 18:27:
> > On Thursday 04 August 2016 17:01:01 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> >> Which sound devices are shown by alsamixer? (See the text on the top
> >> left and, maybe, use F2  and F6 keys.)
> >
> > Card: PulseAudio
> > Chip: PulseAudio
> >
> > F6
> > default
> > 0 HDA Intel PCH
> > 1 HDA NVidia
> > enter device name
>
> Do you get sound if you select 0 or 1 ?
>
> > F2
> > /proc/asound/version
> > /proc/asound/cards
> > /proc/asound/devices
> > /proc/asound/oss/devices
> > /proc/asound/timers
> > /proc/asound/pcm
> >
> >> Is there a file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf?
> >
> > No
>
> On a HP Probook without additional discrete GPU I had to set
>
>   options snd_hda_intel index=1
>
> in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf in order to get the speakers to work.
>
> >> What is the output of
> >>
> >>   lsmod | grep snd
> >
> > You missed this in my original post:
>
> Yes, sorry.
>
> > peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ lsmod | grep snd
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek    81920  1
> > snd_hda_codec_generic    73728  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
> > snd_hda_codec_hdmi     53248  1
> > snd_hda_intel          36864  7
> > snd_hda_codec         131072  4
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_in
> >tel snd_hda_core           69632  5
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_co
> >dec,snd_hda_intel snd_hwdep              16384  1 snd_hda_codec
> > snd_pcm               102400  4
> > snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_core
> > snd_timer              32768  1 snd_pcm
> > snd                    86016  22
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_
> >hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel soundcore              16384
> >  1 snd
> > peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$
>
> Which kernel drivers are in use for the audio devices according to the
> output of lspci -v
> ?
> Does the output of dmesg reveal something regarding the sound devices?
>
> > Thank you for the help, Jörg-Volker! :-)
> > Lisi
>
> You're welcome.
>
> Regards,
> jvp.

I worked over what we had been doing.  I also added $USER to pulse and
pulse-access groups.  Suddenly it is consistently working, instaed of jts
that once and temporarily.  Don't ask me which bit worked, but for now it
works!

Thank you for your help.

Lisi