Sound troubles on crashed Jessie on Skylake

My husband's box, Jessie with Skylake, is still recovering from being
summarily turned off in mid-stream.

I have been trying to get sound reworking.

I did:

peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ pacmd set-default-sink 1
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ pulseaudio -k
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to kill daemon: No such process
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ pulseaudio --start
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ pacmd set-default-sink 1
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ aplay prayer2.wav
Playing WAVE 'prayer2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono

And I had sound!  Consistently!  Across everything!  But I had the impression
that it might be temporary.  I had done nothing to start anything on
start-up.  So I restarted the computer.  No sound. Did:

peter@Nyx-II:~$ pulseaudio --start
peter@Nyx-II:~$ pacmd set-default-sink 1
peter@Nyx-II:~$ cd Music/
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ aplay prayer2.wav
Playing WAVE 'prayer2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono

No sound.

Did:
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ pacmd set-default-sink 1
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ pulseaudio -k
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ pulseaudio --start
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ pacmd set-default-sink 1
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ aplay prayer2.wav
Playing WAVE 'prayer2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$

Still no sound.

peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_realtek    81920  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    73728  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     53248  1
snd_hda_intel          36864  7
snd_hda_codec         131072  4
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_core           69632  5
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              16384  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm               102400  4
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_core
snd_timer              32768  1 snd_pcm
snd                    86016  22
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
soundcore              16384  1 snd
peter@Nyx-II:~/Music$

pavucontrol insists that there is only one sound card and that that card is
HDMI, which it rightly says is not plugged in.

I have run alsactrl init - before I did briefly get sound working!!

Where next??

Lisi