Re: Chromium jumps to any workspace it likes.......

On Thursday 04 August 2016 09:48:45 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Thursday 04 August 2016 14:02:45 Charlie wrote:
> > All wisdom is rooted in learning to call things by the right name.
> > When things are properly identified, they fall into natural
> > categories and understanding becomes orderly.
>
> Provided that everyone agrees on what the names mean.  In this case,
> as frequently, there is considerable disagreement on what the names
> mean.
>
> I once got an email asking me to check the check and check the list if
> it was correct.  Ouch!!  Now let me put that into "proper" (now there
> is another term we could argue about) English, as I eventually managed
> to do:
>
> He wanted me to check the cheque, and tick the list if it was correct.
>
> I will now go and put my trunk in the boot of my car, check the oil
> under the bonnet, and make sure that I have got enough petrol.
>
> (Translation for those who need it):
> I will go put my large strong steel-bound canvas-covered wooden box in
> the trunk of my automobile, check the oil under the hood and make sure
> that I have enough gas.  (Translation not perfect - it is nearly 65
> years since I did sixth grade)

75 for me.

> There is no such thing as a "right name".  Sorry, Confucius. ;-)
>
> Lisi

I would not make excuses for Confucius, he did not live in a time where
we can send a message from small town West Virginia, USA, to Ulan Bator,
Mongolia in a few hundred milliseconds. While he was an excellent
observer and commentator of his times, he was also subject to the speed
of communications.

The right "name" in my mind now has at least 10 aliases per name
dependent on the locale of the speaker, and its those who do not learn
that, are those which will find themselves left behind.

OTOH, the spoken version of what we both write and call English, is not
as easily understood as the regional accents are much more different
when spoken.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)