Re: Problem with NON-STANDARD install

On 8/1/2016 12:20 PM, Brian Flaherty wrote:
On Monday, August 1, 2016 8:38 AM, Richard Owlett
<rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

*CAVEAT LECTOR*
I _KNOW_ I'm doing an *ATYPICAL* install.
I *REQUIRE* Grub to be its own partition.
The Debian 8.4 installer at least recognizes that some users
would desire Grub to be in its own partition.

Not sure if this is helpful, but could you redo the install in
expert-mode, during which you get to pick and choose among the
installation steps. Then, at the step for installing grub, you
could do that in a shell or, perhaps expert mode gives more
access to the commands being executed?

The problem is that the grub manual [e.g. http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html] only says [Section 3.4 ] "...or the core image can be installed in a file system and a list of the blocks that make it up can be stored in the first sector of that partition."

From on list and off list responses, I have a weird idea. If it works it will demonstrate that there are people stranger than I - *nix manual authors ;/

more later.