Linux has come a long way

Linux has come a long way! I have been dreading to go wireless on my
desktop for a while. A while ago, the process was like this - grab
drivers from manufacters website, custom compile kernels, read
documentation on how to connect to a password encrypted network. If
something does not work, search google, ask on mailing
lists/IRC/friends or read source code to find a hacky solution.

Today I simply plugged in the USB adapter, clicked a button on the KDE
panel to select a wireless network, entered the password! Boom!

Many many thanks to all the developers who made this possible.

During early 2000s people did similar hacky stuff to get graphics
cards working. After a while, they started working seemlessly. Now the
time has come for wireless? Any experiences to share?

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog