Re: reasons to ditch LILO before upgrading to jessie?

On Sat 09 Jul 2016 at 22:05:45 +0200, Erwan David wrote:

> Le 09/07/2016 à 22:00, Brian a écrit :
> >
> > What is the point of a choice? Just offer GRUB; it is the bootloader for
> > Debian and  has many advantages over LILO in todayss Linux ecosystem.
> > People who have a great desire to use LILO can search it out.
> >
> > Unmaintained in Debian, The bit-rot starts here.
> >

> What is the point of a choice, just use the windows provided with your PC...
>
> Linux and debian is just about choice given to the user to use what
> he/she thinks is better for him/her.

This is a common misconception. Debian is about providing the best free
operating system possible.

As for choice in the installer, which was the point I made and which you
snipped: where is the choice of printing system, the choice of editor, the
choice of standard utilites such as netcat etc. Choice doesn't exist. Ok,
it does but you have to search it out and get it for yourself if you want
it at installation time.

On the other hand, LILO is presented as an alternative to the default,
well-supported and competent GRUB. No reason given; it's just there,
cluttering up the menu and most likely adding to the confusion of users
who use the expert install. Let those users who want it seek it out.