POSSIBLY SOLVED Re: Laptop wireless problem - very slight tangent

On Monday 04 July 2016 18:43:08 Brian wrote:
> On Mon 04 Jul 2016 at 17:58:58 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Monday 04 July 2016 17:21:29 deloptes wrote:
> > > I've been using the ipw2200 for few years on one siemens-fujitsu
> > > notebook with out issues. There was first debian and then ubuntu on it.
> > > Strange that you can not suddenly connect.
> >
> > If the card has died it would explain it!! n It has been running fine for
> > years, but things do, sadly, die.
>
> True.
>
> > > Perhaps you can try with a live ubuntu just to see if it works
> >
> > Trying now - will send this now and report back again in a while after I
> > have loaded something as heavy as Ubuntu-anything onto such an old
> > laptop!!!
>
> A featherweight five minute test could be run with a netinst image. No
> need to go beyond configuring the network stage. Unlike a full install
> netcfg is used. If the wireless card is not detected you have a very
> big problem. But why shouldn't it be? iwconfig managed it after all!
>
> If it doesn't get configured and connected the problem becomes tractable.

Thank you. Brian.  I'm glad that your brain is turned on, even if mine is not.

It detected the card - as you say, why shouldn't it?  It detected my SSID.  It
asked about encryption, asked for the passphrase, got given it - and went
back to the beginning:  which network do you want, which method of
encryption, what is the passphrase - and again, back to the beginning.  I
tried three or four times.

I have a new card on order from Amazon in case.  They have a new definition of
next day delivery.  Ordered 3rd delivered 5th.  I was in all day today (which
is why I ordered it expecting delivery today).  I am not in all day tomorrow.
It may come while I am in.  If not, we get into the Post Office's idea of
redelivery.  The parcel has to sit in the delivery office for two days before
they can attempt redelivery.  Oh, well. :-(

Lisi