Truncating MPGs or MP4s

Hi folks,

There seem to be a number of video editing programs available, at
least according to Synaptic's lists.

I have a very simple need - I've got a LOT of VHS tapes to convert
before my last VCR dies. I have it all sorted except for one thing - I
have to play the tapes real time, so I leave them running. This means
the resulting files will have a chunk of 'dead space' at the end of
them if I'm not there when the video content finishes.

I just need to remove that dead space - doesn't matter to me whether I
do that on the MPG or after conversion to the MP4. I don't need all
the bells and whistles that most video programs are likely to have, I
just need to be able to see the video and then mark a point after
which everything will be deleted - in other words, a very SIMPLE video
editor.

Amy recommendations, please? 64-bit Debian testing, XFCE desktop,
plenty of CPU and RAM available.

Thanks,