No PTP camera support in KDE

So every time I plug in either the Canon EOS 600 or Canon Ixus 970 IS
cameras via USB on my desktop computer I get a notification with a green
button to open the camera in the file browser. But clicking on that
button has no effect. Plugging in a regular USB key also produces a
notification and green button and in that case clicking on it works.

When I plug in the same cameras on my laptop I can access the pictures
from the file manager normally. The difference is that the laptop is
running GNOME 3.2.0 while the desktop is running KDE 5.22 from Debian
Testing.

As far as I know both cameras are seen as PTP devices and that seems to
be the problem for KDE. From what I read KDE uses libgphoto which is
installed (libgphoto2-6 and libgphoto2-port12) but I'm not sure which
part KDE package would be specifically responsible for the KDE side.

I have kamera 4:16.04.1-1 installed and when I start it it does see the
Ixus (for instance) and it tests ok. Kamera's help says to type
camera:/ into the Konqueror location bar. However:
 * The KDE file manager is Dolphin, not Konqueror.
 * Typing that address in Konqueror does not work (Improperly Formatted URL).
 * Typing that address in Dolphin gets me an icon for the camera but
   double-clicking on it ends up with an error saying it cannot
   communicate with the USB peripheral.

Has anyone managed to access PTP devices in KDE on Debian?

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget@free.fr>              http://fgouget.free.fr/
               RFC 2549: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2549.txt