Re: Choppy video on Youtube

On 04/06/2016 08:31 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
Why did you install the 32-bit version? You have a 64-bit system, right?
Well from what I had read, I saw my RAM as borderline (4gb) and I read something stating that with a low-end CPU, things should run faster with the 32-bit version.

A few months ago, I installed Jessie 32-bit LXDE desktop in VirtualBox on a 64-bit host (Wheezy 64-bit) to test video streaming from different sources. Videos ran awful like what you describe. I reinstalled, but the 64-bit version. Videos streamed perfectly. Everything else remained the same. I just let the installer do its thing.
I may very well try this! I don't mind doing a full reinstall, so this may be my next step.

Why GNOME3? Could be it's the problem. I've never been able to try it on my systems. It won't run. My plain vanilla graphics cards just don't have support for it. I get the "fallback" desktop. Also, GNOME3 has become a bloated resource hog, IMHO. So, first try the 64-bit version with GANOME3, and if that doesn't solve the problem look to a lightweight desktop like LXDE or XFCE, or just a window manager. And, of course, check you've got the latest video driver installed. B

The reason why I went with Gnome3 is that I thought I may pursue Android app development, and the Google Android system requirements page states that Gnome3 is required... I didn't have a preference anyway, so I just went with it. Sure it's a disorienting way of working with your system (I still keep looking for the clock in the upper right-hand corner!) but as I'm not sure about app development anyway, I don't mind going with LXDE or Xfce.

I don't know how to determine whether I've got the "latest video driver"... I just replied to two other posts in this thread, listing the output of commands I ran -- perhaps that can show us this info?

Thanks for your help.
Harris