Re: Choppy video on Youtube

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016, Harris Paltrowitz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> First, I'm asking for help on this list because I've observed this to
> be a very august group :) and I'm actually a bit in awe to be in the
> presence of Debian developers...  I've only been using Debian for a
> few weeks -- I'm not new to Linux or Unix, although I'm still a
> relative beginner.
>
> Here's my problem -- when I stream certain videos on Youtube, I
> consistently get choppy playback performance, whereby the video
> freezes and restarts randomly, with the audio getting out of sync
> from that point forward.  The problem is NOT due to the video still
> being downloaded -- I know this because the progress bar shows that
> the download is way ahead of my viewing progress.
>
> Here are my specs:
>
> - Debian Jessie 32-bit (I had installed 8.3 and subsequently ran some
> updates, but I don't know how to check to see if I'm up to 8.4)
> - Gnome 3
> - Firefox 45.0.1
> - Flash is NOT installed
> - flashplugin-nonfree is NOT installed
> - neither gnash nor pepper are installed
> - example of a video that gets choppy:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Tok9KUjTw (the problem seems to
> start during the "man on the street" segments)
> - When the choppiness is happening, System Monitor tells me that one
> of my four CPUs is maxing out at 100% at least half the time
>
> Hardware:
> ​- Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series (Intel(R)) - 3551
> - Intel Pentium CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz x 4 (2M Cache, up to 2.66 GHz)
> - 4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx1)
> - Graphics: Intel Bay Trail x86/MMX/SSE2
>
> I would love to receive help from this list...  thanks much much in
> advance!

Why did you install the 32-bit version?  You have a 64-bit system,
right?

A few months ago, I installed Jessie 32-bit LXDE desktop in VirtualBox
on a 64-bit host (Wheezy 64-bit) to test video streaming from different
sources. Videos ran awful like what you describe.  I reinstalled, but
the 64-bit version.  Videos streamed perfectly.  Everything else
remained the same.  I just let the installer do its thing.

Why GNOME3?  Could be it's the problem.  I've never been able to try it
on my systems.  It won't run.  My plain vanilla graphics cards just
don't have support for it. I get the "fallback" desktop. Also, GNOME3
has become a bloated resource hog, IMHO.

So, first try the 64-bit version with GANOME3, and if that doesn't
solve the problem look to a lightweight desktop like LXDE or XFCE, or
just a window manager.

And, of course, check you've got the latest video driver installed.