Three Problems Yet Remaining

Assembled Wisdom!

The first and most important problem is:  my iceweasel crashes instantaneously upon
being invoked, whether from the Activities list on the LH side or from the command
line.  It was totally reliable under   wheezy.

Second:  my mutt, invoked from the terminal/command line.  crashes instantaneously
also.  Before I resigned myself to the gnome environment, it ran fine.

Three:  where is the utility  file  ?  I used this all the time in previous
Debian installations.

Any help/suggestions much appreciated!

Alan