Re: Sudo

On 04/03/2016 01:33 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 23:30:03 -0500
Michael Milliman <michael.e.milliman@gmail.com> wrote:

On 03/20/2016 03:26 AM, Adam Wilson wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 19:30:57 +0000
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 19:57:56 +0100
Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:

On Sat, 2016-03-19 at 18:38 +0000, Joe wrote:
I've never seen sudo installed by default in any Debian, and I
begin with expert minimal netinstalls of stable, and I've never
seen it offered as an option there. My first two actions on
reboot are to install sudo and mc.
      By default you are asked to provide a password for the “root”
      (administrator) account and information necessary to create
one regular user account. If you do not specify a password for the
      “root” user this account will be disabled but the sudo
package will be installed later to enable administrative tasks to
be carried out on the new system.

 From https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/apas03.html.en

OK, I didn't know that.

When you carry out a net install (or any installation, in fact) if
you decline to provide a root password then sudo is automatically
installed and configured for you, with the first user you create
able to become root with sudo.

This is all explained in the installer at the root password stage-
there is no need to install sudo manually post-installation.

If you want sudo, just don't provide a root password in the
installation.
On the other hand, I use both su and sudo.  If I have a protracted
session with several different tasks that I need to complete all
requiring root access I su to the root user.  If on the other hand, I
only need to perform a single command, or so, I use sudo.  Both have
their uses, though as already noted, Debian generally does one or the
other as a default.  I install with a root password, and then bring
in the sudo package post-installation.

What's wrong with sudo su?
Probably nothing wrong with it, but sudo -i works for access to root user. sudo su seems kind of redundant to me.

--
Mike