Re: What Package?

On 2016-04-03 at 17:42, David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 03 Apr 2016 at 18:53:26 (+0300), Adam Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 21:45:15 +0200 Jörg-Volker Peetz
>> <jvpeetz@web.de> wrote:
>>
>>> second, with the command-line program youtube-dl (package of the
>>> same name) movies can be downloaded from youtube and played by a
>>> movie-player, e.g., vlc.
>>
>> You do not need to do this. YouTube works without Flash.
>
> I *always* do this.

Likewise.

> Why pay for the bandwidth twice, thrice,... That's the one benefit of
> flash refraining from playing immediately the link is clicked on.

In addition to the multiple-bandwidth-use consideration, pulling it down
locally means you can choose what player to use, rather than being
limited to whatever features and UI are provided by the streaming site's
built-in player.

That, combined with buffering issues (we may still have been on dial-up
at the time, I don't recall for certain), is the major reason why I
adopted a strict rule of "always pull down locally before watching" for
my own computers - with the only exception being realtime, live streams.

--
   The Wanderer