Re: Modified Rapture<g>, and a new question

On Sun 03 Apr 2016 at 11:03:10 +0200, Floris wrote:

> Op Sun, 03 Apr 2016 10:56:23 +0200 schreef Mark Fletcher
> <mark27q1@gmail.com>:
> >
> > I just don't understand why anyone would pay money for Jessie in the
> > first place. It's supposed to be free software...
> >
> >Respect to anyone who chooses to donate to the project, or to the upstream
> >of packages they particularly derive value from, >but surely the thing to
> >do would be to use it, then decide to do that??? What's the use case that
> >makes sense to pay for it >before you've tried it?
> >BTW best answer in my opinion is get networking working, then set up
> >sources.list to point at the repos as others have >suggested. If
> >networking isn't available, sources.list set up to use the thumb drive as
> >others have suggested is the way to >go. Either way, once at up, there are
> >commands line apt-get install <package> to install software and keep it up
> >to date.
> >Mark
> >

> I don't know if the OP has a good Internet connection or need some non-free
> firmware packages to make it work. But you are right. Get your network
> up-and-running so you can make sure you have the most stable and secure
> packages available.

No, your advice first time round was right. Or at least it was useful
and appropriate for Alan McConnell's situation. The fact that he has a
DVD and a USB stick indicates he has some need or desire to use them.
Purchasing them still gets him free software.

The USB stick can most probably be used as an archive. What is on the
DVD is unknown, apart from it having the installer. If it is Debian's
DVD-1 it will contain mutt and imagemagick, so they should be capable
of installation with a correct sources.list (which d-i should have set
up).