Re: Contemplating new MFC color laser printer purchase

On Saturday 02 April 2016 09:52:58 deloptes wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Does anyone know if the scanner in a Dell H625cdw MFC is recognized
> > by xsane?
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends.html
>
> I do not think so.
>
> I bought Epson 33/330 and I've been using it with the Epsons iscan
> tool (v.2.30) over 3y now. It works great for me.

I have never been able to make iscan work here, at least in earlier
versions as its been 3 years or more since the last time.  xsane Just
Works(TM) with an NX515 I bought several years ago, and whose nozzles
clogged in 2 weeks. Staples said I had to send it back to Epson, but I
recalled I had been spending $150 bucks for ink every 90 days to keep
the previous epson ink squirter working just because the only way I
could keep the nozzles clean was to have amanda print its backup report
every night, using up the ink.

So I voted with my wallet, and bought a Brother HL-3170CDW color laser,
but it never worked really well, and has now died, drum error for all 4
drums, which my C.E.T. mind says is a high voltage failure, but the
brother techs won't hear of it, saying I need to replace all 4 drums at
$150/copy. Drums rated for 15,000 pages each, and have nominally 3700
pages of use? Thats 600 bucks when I can buy a new one now for $250? The
thought of buying one for parts crossed my mind, briefly.

Tain't gonna happen, and Brother refuses to talk warranty.

I could gain some desk space with the all in one, if it would work.

This MFC claims it works with ubuntu 12.04, so I am tempted to load up
xsane on my elderly lappy and take it to Staples to see if they have one
on display, and can the xfce install on it see the scanner. The printer
claims to handle all the common protocols including pdf-1.7 so I don't
think it will be a huge config problem.

> It states however that it can be used by sane as well.
>
> This might be of interest (I think it depends on what model you buy)

If I buy an epson, which is not likely unless I could still buy a C82.  I
used it to print a couple weddings I shot, selling the color prints,
they were that good.  But that was then, this is now.

Thanks deloptes.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)