Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 16:10:49 +0100 jdd <jdd@dodin.org> wrote:

> Le 15/03/2016 16:01, David Wright a écrit :
>
> > You write "Is Airprint free?". Is this a real question or a pointed
> > remark designed to create more discussion? I can't tell. Why don't
> > you just look it up?
> >
> > You write "not from me, but from others, may be." Perhaps you
> > might google the following phrase. That's what I think.
>
> I got the impression than you don't want to use the brother driver
> because it's not free. If it's not that, I'm sorry.
>
> if It's that, I think that a driver is just an extension of the
> hardware, so why use a non free hardware an don't use the same non
> free driver.

This sort of breaks down when you realise that drivers are actually
software to be used with hardware. They are only 'extensions of
hardware' in the sense that hardware requires drivers to work, and so
certain drivers must be used with certain hardware.

There is no such thing as 'non-free hardware'- just hardware for which
there are no free drivers available. That situation can be remedied by
the development or release of free drivers and firmware.

> We all work constantly with non free solutions, including RMS,
> whatever he says... the more the better, but where to stop?

Indeed. Until recently Stallman himself used a computer with non-free
BIOS, until his fling with MIPS and now LibreBoot.