Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Sun 13 Mar 2016 at 09:04:47 (+0100), jdd wrote:
> Le 13/03/2016 05:34, David Wright a écrit :
>
> >Well, let's assume that most people buy their equipment rather than
> >being given it for free.
>
> I also bought one for $25 (the two of them had already 200.000
> copies done :-) - but it's an obsolete machine now
>
> of course it was trash bin machines, most companies do not keep
> machines for more than 5-7 years and you can have them second hand;
> but looks like french second hand is much cheaper than us ones.
>
> but it was only an example
>
> >I can see a refurbished one on the web for $340 (if that's the right
> >model) which is far more than a new AiO.
>
> much too expensive
>
> I found at first glance:
>
> http://www.inmac-wstore.com/produits/p2622357/HP-LaserJet-Pro-400-M401d---imprimante---monochrome---laser.htm
>
> I sure one can find some cheaper

Why are you suggesting monochrome models? Please let's compare like
with like. You've disputed my suggestion that having native support
for PDF printing makes a printer expensive compared with the
example in the subject line (list price $250).

> but I didn't said you have to change your Brother printer. I use
> daily Brother printers and I'm very glad about them
>
> here the list of ps linux compatibles brother printers
>
> http://www.openprinting.org/driver/Postscript-Brother/

which seems to confirm their expensiveness. Taking the lowest numbered
model in each category that prints colour (note, prints only) and is
available to buy:

DCP-9xxx you can buy these in India though I can't work out if they're new.
HL-2700CN $450 (refurbished)
MFC-9010CN $1100

As I said, you're in a different price bracket. Guessing by what I've
seen, it's partly because PDF printing tends to come with lasers
and ethernet, ie for office documents, not home photographs.

Cheers,
David.