Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Saturday 12 March 2016 15:01:58 Brian wrote:

> On Sat 12 Mar 2016 at 14:08:58 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > My Brother HL3170CDW has a wireless interface, but no clue as to its
> > usability with airprint, mainly because I have it disabled in its
> > own menu's and have not explored that route to moving data.
>
> The existence of a wireless interface on a printer has no bearing on
> whether it supports AirPrint. Many printers have wireless interfaces
> and do not support AirPrint.
>
> In addition, an AirPrint printer does not need wireless capability on
> it; it is not a requirement. The only requirement is for the printer
> to broadcast mDNS.
>
> You can see what your printer does by using the novel idea of looking
> at its manual. Guess what? :)

Never seen it, its an exra cost thing only available to servicing dealers
I believe.

>   https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201311
>
> You are the only person in this thread to own up to having an AirPrint
> Brother printer. That places you in an ideal position to test the
> ideas proposed in this thread and assist the OP.

I didn't claim AirPrint, only that it could have a wlan connection IF it
was enabled, which it isn't.

> I'm interested in what
>
>   avahi-browse -art > discovered
>
> gives.
>
> Would you please post the output here? A minimum of a Jessie install
> is needed for something useful.

I'm still on wheezy, but that output is likely north of 200k.  It finds
an ipv6 address for a lot of stuff here, but ipv6 is disabled. Or is in
the configs I use.

Probably 2 dozen stanza's of stuff on this printer, another dozen or so
on a $110 B&W laser in the basement, and at least that many for an Epson
NX515 whose printer died from clogged nozzles less than a month after I
bought it, but its scanner works well. How avahi found it when its not
even turned on is beyond me unless turning it off is not a full
powerdown, or the USB cable is powering its interface.  Not to mention
at least 50 other devices each a separate listing according to the
protocol avahi queries I guess.  Way too big to post to a mailing list
w/o an hours editing to trim it down to just this one printer. All the
printers are shared to 4 other machines, and avahi finds it connected to
them all, with every protocol in its basket. So I'm not going to inflict
the list with that much trash data.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)