Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

Jarle Aase wrote:

> Do you know why these printers require binary drivers? I am asking both
> technically and rationally.

I think
1. probably license agreements between manufacturer and supplier (of
microchips etc) that prevent revealing information about hardware parts
2. profit - cheep hardware sold for profit to much higher price - you do not
want to reveal how you make this cheep hardware work. Most of the companies
provide some part in closed fashion (firmware etc) and cover the heart of
the technology they develop.
3. It is more confident the manufacturer provides the software than the
community reverse engineer the same. We should appreciate companies that
(still) support linux OS.

BTW I'm using Epson scanner with it's iscan tool since wheezy. It works just
great - no need to update since first installation.

Of course if you require high level of security you can not trust such
binaries, but if you are at this level of security I do not think you will
be working at the computer that much or at least use such kind of hardware.
In such case it is best to use analog equipment or PC in closed network.
You still have choice(s).

regards