Re: which files took the space

David Wright a écrit :
> On Sat 05 Mar 2016 at 21:18:55 (+0100), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>> David Wright a écrit :
>>> You can't create files on an unmounted filesystem.
>> Of course you can, with the adequate tools. For instance mtools for FAT,
>> e2tools for ext2, ntfs-3g (previoulsy ntfsprogs) for NTFS.
>
> Thank you for taking that sentence completely out of context.

This sentence does not need any context. It is either right or wrong by
itself.

> The tools you mention manipulate devices or images just as any
> program might manipulate a device/file whose structure it is
> familiar with, and not through the operating system.

So what ?
After you mount the filesystem, the file you created with such a tool is
visible. It's just a regular file like any other.

> So those
> "files" are irrelevant to a discussion of mount points and
> visibility

Your sentence was as irrelevant.

> (I wasn't aware that ntfs-3g worked that way: I thought it just
> mounted NTFS filesystems like any other.)

Actually the tools which were previously packaged in ntfsprogs have been
included into ntfs-3g, but I don't think they are used by the ntfs-3g
filesystem.