stretch boot problems

Hi,

I am having problems booting Stretch (Debian 9). During boot, I get a series of messages:

(1 of 4) A start job is running for .....
(2 of 4) A start job is running for.....
(4 of 4) A start job is running for Network Manager (47 s / 1min 35s)

and after waiting for several minutes, I get:

[FAILED] Failed to start Login Service.
See 'systemctl status systemd-logind.service' for details
[FAILED] Failed to start Accounts Service.
See 'systemctl status accounts-daemon.service' for details
[FAILED] Failed to start Modem Manager.
See 'systemctl status ModemManager.service' for details
[FAILED] Failed to start Avahi.....
See 'systemctl status....
[FAILED] Failed to start Network Manager.
See 'systemctl status NetworkManager.service' for details

I have upgraded regularly with Synaptic. I often had to try several times to get the os to boot, sometimes even having to run fsck from another distro on my dual boot machine, and eventually it would boot....until now.

Would appreciate any suggestions.
Carlos