Re: Difficulties while installing additional packages from .iso (USB stick) after successful stretch install

On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 09:34:20PM +0100, sbeck@secure.mailbox.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> hat am 7. Februar 2016 um
> > 14:15 geschrieben:
> >

> > On Sat, Feb 06, 2016 at 11:06:56AM +0100, sbeck@secure.mailbox.org
> > wrote:
>
> > > When I put different forms of identifying the USB stick into the
> > > sources.list apt says something like "there is no driver for that
> > > device
> > > installed" or "there is no release file" (when I put
> > > file://var/lib/apt/lists directory) and does not proceed. But the
> >
> > Have a look at 'man sources.list'
> >
> > e.g. in examples it has deb file:/home/jason/debian unstable main
> > contrib non-free
> > note it's not 'file://'
> >
> > Please inform the list of your progress, I too would like to know the
> > solution for future reference.
>
> thanks, below you'll find the results of what I have tried so far. I'm now
> at the apt-cdrom utility but the first results aren't the desired ones, I
> keep on trying, but just wanted to give you an answer the same day.
>
> I wonder why the USB stick after the installation and the reboot wasn't
> recognized automatically as an apt source. He had been there during
> installation. There are two similar lines in apt source (referring to the
> DVD.iso) being the only difference that one ends with "contrib main" the
> other one with "main contrib". These lines were added by the installer
> during installation.
>
> I will keep you-up-to date about my attempts. I hope I'll have it resolved
> soon.
>
> Thanks

I think there may be a problem in reading the USB stick if you just used dd to write a DVD1 image to USB.

You may be able to loop mount the USB stick as a DVD image at which point you can pick up files from inside the DVD
or mount it as a source to apt-get update from.

I've got one next door that I prepared earlier - I may give it a go to see what can be done :)

All the best,

Andyc