Re: gschem only partially works

On Saturday 09 January 2016 19:39:27 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Sunday 10 January 2016 00:24:29 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I can see all that in synaptic to prove its there, and mc agree's,
> > but its in html and iceweasel has lost the ability to open a file on
> > a local filesystem.  No clue why as there sure should not be an ssl
> > problem on a local direct access disk.
> >
> > So unless I see an iceweasel update in the next day or 2, I will be
> > actively searching for a browser that Just Works(TM).
>
> You are using TDE.  Why on earth aren't you using Konqueror for this
> sort of thing??  Easiest route:
>
> Do:
> alt-F2
>
> type in resultant window:
> /home/gene
> or whatever you call your home directory, or route to wherever the
> file you want is
>
> navigate to file you want and open it.
>
> Lisi

Konquerer and I have never made friends, Lisi, but if it works, I'll try
to apologize to it. But I don't have to, it just refused to open
gedadocs.html in the /usr/share/doc/geda/ directory.  Despite being set
as the default browser, it handed it over to iceweasel, and iceweasel of
course claimed the file did not exist.

Does it open that file on your system?

Actually I did get it to open that file when used as an argument from a
console window, in the local wiki, but its a one page file that points
at www.gpleda.org, a site that apparently does not exist or the
iceweasel cannot find.  But the site CAN be pinged.  A new ssl problem?

The lack of being able to access the docs for all these tools is, to put
it bluntly, damned frustrating. So to hell with it, I'll make the 60
mile round trip to my nearest radio shack tomorrow and get some of their
project boards as I can build 2 each of these circuits on a 2x2" project
board.

In the meantime, somewhere in this daily updating of libssl and friends,
maybe, if they switch chews and hold their mouth just right, a browser,
any browser, might actually work again.  But I don't recommend either of
us hold our breath until that happens.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)