Re: Problem with grub-install (d-i, soft RAID6, Jessie)

On 01/08/2016 02:51 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Christian Seiler a écrit :
>> for compatibility reasons every tool that manipulates MBR
>> partitions will therefore want to leave a gap after the MBR.
>
> Current tools won't align for compatibility purpose any more. The
> default 1-MiB alignment is only for performance purpose, not compatibility.

This is new to me - I always thought that this was entirely for
compatibility. I'm curious: How would that help performance-wise?
On SSDs it shouldn't matter at all - and if you have rotational
media, you'd need to figure out the physical (not the logical)
geometry of the drive to be effective - and if I'm not mistaken
there's no standardized way of getting to that via software. What
am I missing here?

Regards,
Christian