Re: Recommendations regarding using Debian Testing

On Tue, Jan 05, 2016 at 11:02:20PM +0530, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
> I want to use Debian Testing (not Backports, as I had a bad experience), to
> try the latest version of software available.
> However, I am a bit confused regarding whether testing would provide the
> same level of stability as Stable does!
> Any recommendations.

Old-stable is extremely stable; only security updates are
available. Eventually, security updates will stop.

Stable is very stable; only security updates and fixes that
don't change functionality happen.

backports to stable carry new versions with different
functionality, but only for the packages you select.

unstable is unstable. Don't rely on it. There is no security
support.

testing is only slightly less unstable than unstable. Packages
which have been in unstable without a release-critical bug for a
few days get to go to testing. There is no security support.

Now you know.

-dsr-