Re: POP3

On Tue 22 Dec 2015 at 02:48:00 (+1300), Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 06:28:35PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > Of course I removed the "was": it wasn't in the subject line of the
> > post you were responding to.
>
> Did you get out of the wrong side of bed? Inserting 'was' is normal
> practice when starting a sub thread.

I'm not sure what my mood had to do with it. I wasn't commenting
on how one uses "was" to start a new subthread (something I've
often done here), but whether a discussion of the relative merits
of (still) using the POP3 protocol vs using IMAP was a subthread
of someone's fetchmail difficulties (being discussed under a
remarkable Subject line of "command not found [SOLVED]").

I didn't see one as a continuation of the other, which was about
file permissions, missing libraries and the contents of .fetchmailrc
and /etc/default/fetchmail (in the usual sort of guessing game).

Terms such as "hijacking", "splitting", and constructions such as
Subject: Chalk, was Re: Cheese
were not my concern, nor why Gmail should be able to find an
irrelevant (IMHO) quotation.

Cheers,
David.