Re: mencoder - Skipped and duplicate frames when recording from TV

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 13:36:12 +0100
Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:

> > Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> > > With 'noaudio' option, messages about skipped/duplicate frames do not
> > > appear anymore and recorded file plays smoothlty, so appears that the
> > > problem is in mixing audio and video frames. I use default container
> > > (AVI). I tried to switch to Matroska and MPEG but got even more
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > I also tried to lower video quality to make sure it's not because of
> > > slowness of hard drive and it isn't (frames are still dropped).
>
> Have you tried ffmpeg? mencoder has not been maintained for quite some time,
> and unless you are using features only available in it (mostly: DVD), ffmpeg
> is the recommended too nowadays?
>
> (With x264 encoding, the thread_queue_size option will likely be necessary.
> It is only available in the genuine ffmpeg.)

How many times I have to say till reinstall everything worked fine. I
have two files from April that are perfect. It's long time ago because
I didn't use this feature of my computer. It's possible it was broken
even before reinstall as I didn't use this feature since April 2015,
but nothing big changed since than. Maybe one or two security updates
, but maybe none. I use standard packages.

In April I used version of mencoder from squeeze-backports and now I
tried both the same version and wheezy version and they both work bad.

And I never standardly used ffmpeg for x264.

Regards,
Marko