Re: POP3 was: Re: command not found [SOLVED]

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 16:33:14 -0500 (EST)
Bob Bernstein <poobah@ruptured-duck.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2015, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > A mailfile, as I understand it, is the whole thing merged into
> > one file, with a blank line or something as a separator, and
> > an index file containing the starting offset and read status
> > of each message in the main file to speed up the search for
> > new mail.
>
> Is that structure/function of the mailfile found only in
> connection with certain specific MUA's, those which, for
> example, might implement or somehow make use of it?
>
> I know about maildir, mbox and mh, but not mailfile. But don't
> sweat this Gene; if I was really curious I'd google the goshdarn
> thing!

I was assuming that he meant the mbox format, which is/was pretty much
universal before the widespread use of IMAP. Debian's default MTA exim4
uses mbox by default but is easy to switch to maildir. As I recall, and
it's a few years ago now, that was the only reconfiguration needed on my
server when I installed Courier IMAP. Otherwise, it all Just Worked,
and has done so ever since.

I don't believe dovecot was around then, it was a choice between
Courier, Cyrus and UW, and I have no recollection at all of the
reason for my choice.

--
Joe