Moving Partitions

In the continuing struggle to undo the damage of the ridiculous partitions
made by the installer, I bought another one terra disk and now have loads of
/usr space and and real /opt partition.

Now, two left:

/var which can either go to the 8gig partition freed by moving /usr or to a
larger partition on the new disk.

/ root, which is on a old 80gig IDE which should be removed from the system
(even though the smart errors are most likely due to the partial support of
the hardware, no data read or write errors).
This can either go to the 8gig partition freed by moving /usr or to a larger
partition on the new disk, whichever one /var does not inherit.

Question: Must root be on a primary partition (the 8gig is secondary --- I had
failed to move root to a currently third disk before this so that 8gig might
be preferred.)