Re: no mouse cursor unless manual X config 'Option "HWCursor" "off"' in Jessie [solved]

Brian composed on 2015-12-05 23:25 (UTC):

> On Sat 05 Dec 2015 at 17:56:14 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Brian composed on 2015-12-05 20:52 (UTC):

>> > Did the pointer work before you added TDE

>> I don't remember whether I tried IceWM before installing TDE. I rarely use
>> anything other than [K,T]DE except to determine whether a problem belongs to
>> Xorg or [K,T]DE.

> You could start from scratch and refresh your memory.

It was originally a minimal install to a systm with XGI video. Intel video
driver was not installed, so modesetting driver was used, otherwise working
well enough to cause me to neglect to inspect Xorg.0.log until after moving
the HD to a sibling machine to test. Using Intel driver the workaround is
unnecessary, thus no more installing is necessary. Reinstalling is for
Windows users anyway.

>> > (whatever that is)?

>> It's what KDE could have been:
>> https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Trinity_Desktop_Environment

> Ah; it's non-Debian. All the more reason to re-install Jessie and
> investigate.

TDE is no fly-by-night, available currently for these distros:

    Debian (Stretch, Jessie, Wheezy, Squeeze, Lenny)
    Ubuntu
    Redhat/CentOS
    Fedora
    Mageia
    Mandriva
    OpenSUSE
    PCLinuxOS

with at least one other nearly complete in the form of a live DVD.

https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/How_to_Install_TDE

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/