Re: How to disable automatic mounting of CDROM?

On Sat 26 Sep 2015 at 11:27:46 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> >On Sat 26 Sep 2015 at 09:13:27 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> >>I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem.
> >>That Jessie (and IIRC Squeeze) automatically mount the cdrom drive every
> >>time the drawer is closed is a nuisance requiring to manually run umount
> >>before I can proceed.
> >>
> >>/etc/fstab has noauto under options.
> >
> >Probably nothing to do with your problem. From fstab(5)
> >
> >   noauto do not mount when "mount -a" is given (e.g., at boot time)
> >
> >>Where else should I look.
> >>I would prefer to disable on a per session basis.
> >>Total disabling is acceptable.
> >
> >Automounting is usually handled by the file manager of whatever DE you
> >are using.
> >

> I'm using Debian 8.0 with Mate as DE. There have been no updates installed
> as internet is not physically available to that machine.

Updates wouldn't matter because they would not (or should not) alter
such a fundamental process.

> I went to
> Applications->System Tools->Caja then to
> Edit->Preferences which displayed "File Management Preferences"
> chose Media
>   selected "Never prompt or start program on media insertion"
>   deselected "Browse media when inserted"

Very useful. I think the deselection just stops the CD's contents being
displayed when the CD tray is closed and doesn't affect automounting.

> It still mounts everything :<

I see what you mean.

Try

  gsettings set org.mate.media-handling automount false