Re: Still unable to get external monitor wotking on Debian 6 - was Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On 04/07/2015, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2015-06-22, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Is it really too much to ask, for application names to be in english?
>
> Yes it is.
>

>> And, does it have all of thev functionality of gnome 2, including (but
>> not limited to) allowing the panel to be positioned along the bottom
>> of the screen, and, inclusion of the system monitor applet in the
>> panel?
>
> Yes it does, and a little bit more besides.
>
> Just try it. It is perfect for those feeling nostalgic for GNOME 2.
>
> --

Okay, well I have now installed mate on the Ubuntu 14.04 and 1.04
installations on the Acer V3-772G, as it had occurred to me that I
might possibly be able to rename the menu entries to meaningful
english-like names.

What I found, is that firstly, unlike my experience with gnome(3)
classic, I could reposition the panel at the bottom of the screen. I
also found that the menu's contain the installed applications links,
that I had with the gnome classic menu's (unlike fvwm, which severely
restricts the entries in the menu's).

I also found, for Ubuntu 12.04 (I did not find it in Ubuntu 14.04, so
I do not know whether Ubuntu 14.04 has the functionality), the
provision, as with gnome 2, to add the 6 panel system monitor to the
panel/taskbar, for ongoing monitoring of the proportionate use of the
resources.

So, the issue of the application names for mate, being in spanish, is
irrelevant, as I have the english-like application names, for the
applications from gnome and kde.

And, apart from the little Ubuntu icon in the bottom left corner of
the panel, the screen looks pretty much like gnome2 running on Debian
6.

So, it seems to be working.

Now, to try dragonflybsd with mate and gnome (for the gnome
applications, such as gedit, gftp, et, etc), as dragonflybsd is
apparently the only bsd (of which I am aware), that has drivers for
the Intel Haswell hardware.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale